In this posting, I will share the War of the Words rule book and a game play sample.
You need 6 coins to purchase F and 2 coins to purchase E or T. If you decide to sell F, get 4 coins from the coins supply. Get 1 coin by selling E or T. If you play FEET, you will get score 4 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 7 victory points. If you can play a word from the mission : FALTER / ELOQUENT / EFFACE / TENABLE, you will get additional score after you calculate the total word score and special card abilities. Those words actually are part of words which is used in SAT (Scholastic Achievement Test) and can be found in this site.
In above scenario, the score will be 4 + 1 + 0 + 1 = 6 VP.
In above scenario, the score will be (4 + 1 + 1 + 1) x 3 = 21. You may purchase an open Special Card with the cost written on the card, or you may take one randomly from the top of the Special Card deck at cost 5 coins.
- Green can be used permanently
- Blue and Red can be used only once
|Special Card||Additional Information|
|You may swap one or more letters from the supply||You may return one or more letters from your hand to the letters deck (bottom) and get the same amount from the top of the deck.|
|Your adjectives have two more score||Using this special card, if you play word HOT, you will get 4 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 9 VP.|
|You may keep three more letters||When you start the game, you can only purchase and keep maximum 6 letters on your hand. With this special card, you may purchase and keep until 9 letters or more if you have more than one special card.|
|Exchange Letters from two players (up to 5 letters)||Two players can be two other players beside you, or you can exchange with another player. Three people A, B, and C. Using this special card, you (A) may exchange letters up to 5 letters belong to B and C. A may exchange with B or C as well.|
|You may cancel an effect of one special card against you||If another player try to use RED Special Card to you, you can block their effect using this card. Both special cards, the red and the blue must be returned to the bottom of the special card.|
For two people, try to use 200 total scores. For three or four people, for short game you may decide together to use 100 as winning condition. To play longer, use 300, 400, or 500 instead.
Sample of a 2 people game play (Rayyan and Aila):
- Rayyan and Aila, each take 5 coins, 3 random letters from the top of letter deck, and 1 special card from special card deck
- Rayyan has A, T, R and Double Word Score
- Aila has N, P, A and Get One Letter Free from the Market Place
- Rayyan purchases ‘P’ from the market place, with 5 coins. X now have A, T, R, and P. Rayyan must end his turn since no coins left and after purchase letters, you cannot play any words
- Aila plays word : P A N and get 3 + 1 + 1 in total 5 VP. She moves her cube to 5. Aila also use her special card to get T from the market place. She returns the Special Card back to the bottom of SP deck
- Rayyan plays P A R T and decides to use the Double Word Score and he scores 2 x (4 + 1 + 1 + 1) = 2 x 7 = 14 VP and moves his cube to 14
- When one of them reaches 200, the game is over and the player who has the highest VP is the winner
If you have other questions or any suggestions, please feel free to drop them in the comments below.